Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Preparations

It is now starting to hit me that in about one and a half months, I will getting on a plane to go to the other side of the world. It's kind of interesting because for me, the trip is kind of like this "out of the world," crazy experience, but for so many people around the world and for so many of my close friends, getting on a plane to India is simply the beginning of a journey back to their motherland. Sometimes I am phased by how much this simple subtlety can make a difference as I look ahead towards my trip.

For example, as I've spoken to people about my trip, I've gotten many mixed reactions about going to India. Many people at home have told me to "be careful" and to "be alert." Some people have said, "that's awesome that you're getting the chance to experience and help other people!" Some people have straight up said, "are you sure? why would you want to go all the way out there?" Even as I first told my parents about the prospects of going to India and then informing them of the reality that I had received grant money and was actually going to go, I had to reassure them that my experience was actually going to be safe and that my excitement was not overriding any lack of judgement.

Realistically, even my own personal preparations for this trip have been interesting. I've been reading up on different cultural tidbits that I should be aware of so as not to offend the people. I'm scheduled to receive a round of immunizations at my University's travel clinic at 8:30am this Friday morning. I've bought a travel money belt, and am planning on gearing up with some heavy duty mosquito repellent and long sleeve clothing to avoid getting bit by potentially harmful mosquito species. Sometimes I can easily fool myself into thinking that I'm preparing for a small war or something!

But the fact of the matter is, India has and will continue to be the homeland for millions of people scattered around the world in this day and in the days to come. And chances are when they're planning a summer trip to visit the grandparents or looking into exploring their home culture, their time spent in preparation is not devoted to arming up with the latest bug spray or devising tricks to avoid pick-pocketers. I would venture to guess that it might one of the least of their worries. Of course I am aware that I will likely stick out big time as I walk the streets of the country. But as I've been reflecting on my trip over the past couple of days, I've been coming to the realization that if I carry on my trip with the constant worry of "is this safe to eat?" or "am I going to be pick-pocketed if I walk down this street" - I will likely miss out on much of what country and the people have to offer.

And what a shame that would be, right?

No comments: