Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ceramics

One of the aspects of the trip that I was really excited for aside from work at PHFI was the chance to experience the culture of the people. When I was home last in April, I decided to pay my old high school ceramics teacher a visit after a random connection came into mind when thinking of experiencing Indian culture: why couldn't I combine this desire with my high school hobby of making pots? After all, my teacher Dr. Feder was a huge advocate for cultural ceramics and understanding the history and stories of cultures and people groups through their artwork. We had a great conversation and he told me to drop in when I was home next.

Today, I stopped in and got a chance to work in the studio again for the first time in three years. It was awesome feeling the clay running through my fingers - kind of therapeutic actually. My brother and I traded work time for labor time, with one of us working and the other cleaning the studio or doing something called "pugging" which is part of the clay recycling process. My brother and I ended up having a competition with each other, seeing who could throw a higher cylinder (I won by a long shot!).

One of the words of wisdom Dr. Feder passed along that I thought would be useful for trip was the idea of going out of my way to make myself welcome in a foreign place. He shared about how in certain ceramic arenas, the student/teacher relationship played itself out with the student having to work for at least year doing nothing more than sweeping and cleaning the studio. Then, he/she might be able to work in recycling clay and then one day be able to work with the clay itself. Essentially, the apprentice would have to go out of their way to earn the trust of the teacher. After hearing these stories, I'm thinking now that as I prepare to step into some new arenas in a couple days, that I should really take the extra initiative to help out around the place and go above and beyond in terms of showing my desire to be there. Especially if one of these arenas turns out to be a ceramics studio. Doing so will really communicate a message that I would probably be at loss to say in words.

I am leaving tonight!

Here are some pictures from the day:


My brother (Kevin) hard at work


My best piece of the day (going to go finish it tomorrow)


My brother, Dr. Feder, and I

3 comments:

Edify said...

looks fun

ericasunwhayi said...

O M G- ur brother = ur twin! and wow good job with that pot...make me something! haha

wildchildwu said...

oh dang, your brother does look like you! esp the side profile... my brother's name is kevin, too! hahaha..