Saturday, July 19, 2008

"Fly the Good Times"

I've arrived safely into Vivekanada Memorial Hospital in Saragur, India. It took about 12 hours in total transit to make it, but overall it was a pretty smooth journey. Upon landing in Bangalore, I met my taxi driver and he nonchalantly told me we were about to make a six hour drive to our destination. After a flat tire, a stop to get masala dosas, 1.5 million (I'm serious) passed Airtel, Tata Mobile, and Vodafone cell phone ads, and way too many near collisions for comfort with tourist buses that were hogging the road, we pulled into the hospital sound and safe. I'm going to have to find a way to dig out the seatbelts that are buried under the seats for my ride back a week from now.





But let me tell you about Kingfisher Airlines. Back in March, when I was planning this trip, I hadn't the slightest idea of what airline to take for a domestic flight to Bangalore from Delhi. Unfortunately, Continental and Northwest don't operate within India so I knew I would have to take an Indian airline. I randomly googled "airline rankings" and stumbled upon skytrax at airlinequality.com. For fun, I clicked on the 5 star airlines and came across an airline called Kingfisher. It was a domestic airline that served destinations across India. With a name like "Kingfisher" and a website called airlinequality.com, I was a little skeptical. The only two airlines that I ever knew, Continental and Northwest, weren't even ranked that high. I decided to give it a shot, even though I hadn't the slightest idea of what a five star airline could offer in terms of a flying experience.

I was totally blown away today for my two and a half hour flight. From boarding the plane, you sit down in a special neck recliner, personal video monitor (with a channel that is a camera that lets you see the pilot's viewpoint), and soothing music in the background. In flight, the flight attendants served miniature bottles of Kingfisher premium water, the personal video monitors played quality in flight programming including a Bollywood movie, cricket matches, and the TV show "Friends," and as our "snack" (I was expecting peanuts so I ate McDonalds before boarding), we got a full course meal with chocolate cake and a mini-dosa. All for a two and a half hour flight that I would normally sleep away, waiting the time out until we reached our destination. I almost felt like I would have wasted my ticket if I had slept!

It was awesome. It's too bad Kingfisher doesn't fly internationally, because it would probably be the most comfortable flying experience I would ever have in economy. Then again, they'd probably be broke. And from now on, I will definitely trust airlinequality.com and its 5-star airline ratings.

On a more serious note, I will try to update on things here at the hospital throughout the week!

1 comment:

shindz said...

wow. you know kingfisher also makes beer? pretty darn good one at that. we flew jet airways and that also was not as bad.