Sunday, July 20, 2008

Follow Your Gut Instinct

I was reading through my Frommer's Guide to India one day and as I flipped through the "General Tips" section of the book, there was a part about safety that read through. The one line that stuck out to me was "in any situation, follow your gut instinct, because you are probably right." Storing that into my memory, I was set on reminding myself to always be aware of my surroundings so as not to put myself in any sort of compromising situations while I'm here.

Fast forward to last Friday evening, my last day before heading off to Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement. I finished official work at 6pm and started reading Meren's final chapter on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I wanted to finish the entire thesis for him because I wasn't sure if I would have internet/computers here (which is the complete opposite) so I resolved to stay a little later on Friday night to help him out. Some people usually stay in the office till around 7-7:30, so I had company until then. Around 8pm, while I was alone, playing some music aloud from my laptop to pump me up while editing the paper, the security guard from upstairs scared me when he came down and went to the bathroom. I just didn't hear him come in. We greeted each other and he proceeded to tell me that he would be on shift for the next 12 hours and I didn't need to leave anytime soon, which was a relief because it takes a couple hours to read through each chapter.

The weird thing that happened is that later on, around 9pm (after I had spent 30 minutes talking to my brother on Skype), he came down again, presumably to use the bathroom. Except this time, he lingered around and carried a conversation. I was trying to be nice, but 25 minutes had passed and it was definitely getting late. He was Nepalese so sort of resembled each other in terms of physical appearance and so I think he was very overjoyed to have met me, so overjoyed that he started saying things like "I want to take you back to West Bengal with me" and, "you're my favorite in this office." Looking back, I think he was just trying to be nice and embrace me as a "brother," but at the time, I was definitely a little scared out of my boots. I finally ended the conversation, telling him we would talk later, and he went back to his post upstairs.

At that point, I was a little uncomfortable but determined to finish the chapter and email it off to Meren before I left for the weekend. It was approaching 10pm and it was definitely the latest I had ever stayed in the office. I was trying to think of ways I might be able to do it at home, but nothing seemed better than to stay and finish up asap. I read the last 7 pages as quickly as possible and began to pack up. All of a sudden, the power went out. Pitch black. By then I was definitely freaked out, and tried my best to lock my laptop into the cabinet (I wasn't bringing it to the south) and pick up all of my things that were scattered on my desk (boarding pass for flight, headphones, journal). I called Meren and stayed on the line with him as the security guard was waiting to leave with me in the dark and proceeded to walk home as quickly as possible.

When I got home, I layed down on my bed and looked at the ceiling for 15 minutes, thanking God for a safe journey home. For some reason, I was sufficiently scared from the situation even though looking back, it was just a matter of staying at the office later than I should have, an overly friendly security guard, and a random power outage at a not-so-convenient time. If anything, from here on out, it was a good reminder to take seriously any feelings of reservation I might have for a particular situation. I don't know if there really was anything to be worried about that night, but all I know is that my gut instinct was definitely jumping up and down, telling me to leave the office asap!

I'll probably take it more seriously next time.

4 comments:

Edify said...

whew, crisis averted

Sarah Chow said...

scary... be careful and stay safe :).

Unknown said...

workaholic

Diana Jhin said...

that was like a scene out of Dark Knight. haha jk