Thursday, July 17, 2008

Israel vs. Palestine



This week, I've been spending a lot of time helping my friend Meren edit his disseration. He's a PHD student at Jawaharlal Nehru University here in Delhi and is submitting his thesis in the next couple of weeks. Because English is his third language (he speaks Naga and Hindi), I randomly threw it out there that I could help him read and edit his thesis as he's preparing to hand it in. Little did I know that a PHD thesis would be chapters upon chapters of material on the Israeli-Palestine peace process. I figured it was the least I could do given that he took out a lot of valuable time to help me find my new place as well as take me to church on Sundays. As an extra bonus, I've been learning the ins and outs of Israeli-Palestinian peace process, something I grew up hearing about on the news (Sharon, Netanyahu, Barak were never differentiated between). I'm seeing how this issue is something that both sides are absolutely passionate about, which could explain why neither side is willing to compromise beyond a certain halfway point. I've never been too politically active in any way, but this might be a topic that I might have some opinions on for the future!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dlai! Hope you're doing well!! Beleive it or not, I have to teach a unit on the Israeli Palestinian Conflict!

Enjoy your time there!

ny said...

dlai!! i thought i had subscribed to this but just realized today that i hadnt.. i had no idea you had been updating so much!! woohoo glad to see/hear that you are doing well in india :)

p.s. i miss tennis

Diana Jhin said...

oh woww
i wish i could read it